Tuesday, September 6, 2011

On Finding Your Passion

Dear Baby Girl,

Had a chance this weekend to practice my passion.  You should know, sweet little one, that having a passion--an art, sport, hobby or activity you love to do more than just about anything else--is one of the best blessings God can give.  It energizes you, gets you focused and offers a vehicle through which you can use the wonderful skills God has given you to bless others.  If yours turn out to be a creative passion (like mine), you'll find endless hours of fulfillment in doing it.  Of course, the more you do it and the better you get, the more you want to do it.

We are each gifted differently with specific talents and aptitudes (another word to look up). I can't wait to see what yours are.  I grew up writing.  As you can see, I still enjoy it.  Have a degree in it.  But when I first picked up a camera, I finally discovered what would fill the visual longing I had to share the beauty I see all around me every day.  Photography is my favorite way to show what I love most about God's creation and the people & places I encounter.  I could spend all day at it--from shooting to the selection of photos to edit and all of the minute details involved in cropping and editing an image until it reflects exactly what I saw through the lens.  I want to do it justice--to capture the wonder, awe and humbling sensations we feel whenever deeply contemplating God's handiwork.

When you find your passion, you won't need anybody to explain.  You'll just know.  Your thoughts will drift to it often and put a smile on your face.  It will be hard to put down and you'll long to get back to it.  You might praise God for this thing you enjoy so much and pray for Him to show you how to use it to touch other lives.  Whatever it is, give it your best.  Enjoy it fully and allow it to give you a personal sense of satisfaction, so you can go about all the other things in life with a balanced sense of who you are.  Never underestimate a passion as just something frivolous (another good word).  Sometimes in life you need a diversion, something that brings you joy 'just because'.  God has a plan for your life, dear one.  That includes your passion.  So be open to unexpected possibilities.  Passions are wonderful things.  Let them shine and bring joy wherever you can.

Much Love,
Aunt Green          

No comments:

Post a Comment